Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Biography Report ~ Wax Museum

I'm linking up with Mrs. Stanford's Class for:

Have you ever incorporated a Wax Museum with a biography 
research project? It's an amazing sight to see!
Laura Ingalls Wilder, Betsy Ross, and Elvis Presley
With a wax museum, the students dress up and become the person that they research, choose poses with props, and hold the poses for a set period of time while other students walk through to observe and study. 

I worked at a school for several years where the wax museum was one of the highlights of the year. I would cry every time! I just couldn't get over how serious these children were about not only researching their important person, writing their biography, but also BECOMING that individual. The students would be perfectly still in their chosen poses as music from Enya played throughout the multipurpose room. Just look at those costumes! That Laura Ingalls Wilder costume is amazing!!! 
(Yeah, I made that one myself - great mom moment!)

The school I work at now does a living museum instead. The students still research an important person, write a biography, and dress up as that person. The difference is that they wear a "button". When a visiting student presses the button they "come to life" and share a short informational piece about their important person. I still cry...

This biography report packet would be a good place to start for a grade-level wax museum or living museum. It's a great project any time of year, regardless of whether you do a wax museum or not.


This packet makes a biography report easy with note-taking and publishing pages as well as complete note-taking examples and 
published examples that model the writing process.


If you would like to check out my biography report for yourself, please click HERE.

5 comments:

  1. My class did a biography wax museum last year and it was so much fun! This is definitely one of my all time favorite activities to do and I can't wait to do it again this year!

    Bethany
    FabandFunin4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I remember doing this growing up!!! I think I might have to do it with my kiddos for Black History Month!

    Blessings,
    Jessica
    Mrs. Stanford's Class

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Wax Museum idea! I know of others who have done this, but this would be a great addition to the year. Thank you for sharing!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I bet the kids had a blast doing this.

    ReplyDelete